The Government resettlement support available to service leavers starts up to two years before an individual is due to leave the Armed Forces.

Resettlement provision depends upon how long the service leaver has been serving in the Armed Forces and  is delivered in three tiers:

  • Tier 1.  The service leaver makes initial contact with a Resettlement Information Staff Officer, who will provide information on what is available, give administrative support and direct the service leaver to the help and assistance he/she can receive within the system.
  • Tier 2. The individual Service provides a Service Resettlement Adviser who gives advice and guidance on the resettlement package which will best suit the service leaver.
  • Tier 3. This compromises tri-service support provided under the Career Transition Partnership (CTP) which is a partnership between the MOD and a civilian outplacement organisation Right Management who are contracted to provide a range of resettlement services on behalf of the MOD to help service leavers make the transition back to civilian life


Everyone on the trained strength is eligible for Tiers 1 and 2 at any time during their careers.

There are 2 levels of entry for Tier 3 depending upon the length of service:

  • Those who have completed four years or more service are entitled to an Employment Support Programme (ESP).
  • Those who have completed six years or more are entitled to the Full Resettlement Service.

Service leavers who have completed six years or more are also eligible for an amount of time, known as Graduated Resettlement Time (GRT), to undertake resettlement activities. This is four weeks for those who have six years but rises to seven weeks for those who have completed 16 years or more. They are also eligible for a grant, the Individual Resettlement Training Costs (IRTC) grant, which can be used towards meeting the costs of training during resettlement. They will also receive Travel and Subsistence support for resettlement activities taken as part of GRT.

All service leavers also have access to briefs on housing advice, provided by the Joint Service Housing Advice Organisation (JSHAO).

Employment Support Programme

The ESP service is available, through the CTP to service leavers who have completed four years service, from six months before discharge up until two years post discharge. Each service leaver is assigned an individual Career Consultant from either the Regular Forces Employment Agency (RFEA), or, in the case of an officer, the Officer Association (OA). The consultant will provide detailed advice on the types of service which the individual may be suitable for in the region to which he or she intends to relocate.

The service leaver will also have access to a comprehensive database of jobs, many of which are available exclusively to service leavers, and the consultant will help them in making contact with prospective employers. The consultant will also give advice on other regional matters such as schooling, housing and so forth. Because the RFEA and OA have charitable status, an ex-service person can also go to them after two years post discharge and receive the services for the rest of their working lives.

Full Resettlement Service

The Full Service is available through the CTP for those service leavers who have completed 6 years service or more and commences up to two years before discharge until two year post discharge. The services provided include:

  • Allocation of a personal Career Consultant, with whom the service service leaver can have unlimited face to face contact
  • Various workshops, which will assist a service leaver in producing a CV, researching the job market, preparing for an interview and responding to job adverts. There are also options which give guidance to those service leavers who intend to retire after leaving the Armed Forces
  • Access to training so that transferable skills which service leavers develop during their time in the Armed forces can lead to equivalent civilian qualifications
  • Access to the ESP

Resettlement training

Training may be undertaken internally at a specialist training centre for military personnel (the Resettlement Training Centre (RTC), Aldershot), where a range of training courses are on offer. The centre has a Management studies, an Engineering department and a Building Trades department.

The Management studies department offers courses for potential Bursars, potential Police Officers, Project Managers, Facilities Managers and so forth. The Engineering Department offers courses on Security, Health and Safety, Electrical Installation, IT and so forth. The Building Trades Department offers courses in Bricklaying, Carpentry & Joinery, Painting and Decorating, plumbing, plastering, Dry lining, texturing and tiling. All are excellent value for money and almost all can be paid for from Service leavers' IRTC grant. Many lead to civilian-recognised qualifications.

Service leavers may also undertake training through a network of external, civilian training organisations, known as Preferred Suppliers which are audited by the RTC Aldershot to ensure value for money.

Medical discharges

A range of special services are available for medical discharges. They are all entitled to the IRTC grant, GRT and CTP services, irrespective of the length of time that they have served, including if they are discharged whilst under training. There is also a fast track programme for them because the length of time between being informed of the decision to discharge and discharge itself is often quite short. For those who are not able to undertake resettlement services because of their medical condition, it is possible to defer resettlement for up to two years after discharge and, in extreme cases, resettlement provision may be transferred to the spouse of the the service leaver.

Early service leavers

Personnel who are discharged whilst under training, or those personnel who are discharged compulsorily, are eligible for a reduced resettlement provision. These personnel, known as early service leavers, are often discharged at very short notice and so are directed or signposted, to the help and guidance that they can receive from Other Government Departments nd ex-service welfare organisations and charities. All early service leavers will be given a comprehensive resettlement brief and a detailed one to one interview by an officer, or someone with equivalent status, at unit level. During this interview issues specific to the individual will be explored and he or she will be put in touch with the Department of Work and Pensions, though its Jobcentre Plus offices, which will be able to give help, guidance and advice in finding a job once the early service leaver has discharged.

Contact will also be made on behalf of the early service leaver with the Joint Service Housing Advice Organsiation or the Single Persons Accomodation Centre for the ex-service, if there are accommodation issues involved, and/or the ex-service charities where appropriate. For those who are identified as requiring further help whilst in service, they may be referred to a Service Resettlement Advisor or to a specialist CTP consultant for a one off interview, to explore specific issues further and for guidance on more specialist help available outside of the services once discharged.